Choosing the Right Cutting board for 2021 – Wood or Plastic?
We all know that the art of cooking is very fascinating as it is a creative process combined with lots of utensils and tools. Having a sharp knife is as equally important as the board you are using it on. Choosing the correct cutting board is arguably an important tool in the kitchen but it is tricky to find the perfect one, as there are so many options available to choose from
What are the main things to consider before purchasing the cutting board?
For starters, it should provide ample space for prepping chopping and dicing while still being gentle on the knives. It should stand up to stains and odors, as well as handle slippery foods or juicy ingredients. It should be easy to clean and maintain and stand up to the test of time!
So how exactly do you pick the right cutting board?
Well, all cutting boards are not created equal. You should be choosing wooden cutting board for certain food types and plastic for other types. Why? Bacteria
Wooden cutting boards have an elegant rustic look which adds a stylish look to your kitchen décor. Cutting on these boards is oddly satisfying but it does come with a price, they are not only expensive but wood being porous, they tend to hide bacteria and if not sanitized properly, can post a health risk.
Plastic cutting board on the other hand, is light weight, cheap and easy to take care of. Being non-porous, they will not trap bacteria easily but don’t be fooled, plastic being softer than wood, your knives will leave long scratch marks which in turn, not cleaned properly could contaminate your food. As they are non-porous, plastic cutting boards are mainly advised to be used for raw meat, poultry, and fish.
Here are few hand-picked cutting boards.
- John Boos Maple Edge Grain Cutting Board – These boards are well known for their quality. Sturdy enough to stay put during chopping and still light enough to carry around and wash. This attractive cutting board is elegant enough to use to serve cheese and meats. Since it’s reversible, you can flip it over to use the other side too. They are sure to become the go-to board in your kitchen for years to come.
- Sonder Los Angeles Acacia Wood Cutting Board with Cracker Holder- This 1.5-inch-thick butcher block style board which allows for stability while cutting and the inner handles provide grip for easy carrying and serving with a built-in cracker holder. This board is perfect for serving cheese and charcuterie. Since it’s reversible, you can use either side of it during food preparations. When cared correctly, these boards will last longer than your regular kitchen items.
- Bamboo Cutting Boards for Kitchen by Greener Chef – These boards are made with sustainably harvested, natively grown moso bamboo. They come in a variation of size and weight, and with a guarantee to replace your chopping board due to cracking, splintering, and separating every time.
- Gorilla Grip Cutting Board – Set of Three – These boards are convenient due to the ample space available for chopping more than one ingredient. They have a rubber border which prevents the board from sliding around and are dishwasher-safe, saving a lot of clean-up time.
- Raj Extra-Large Cutting Board –The polypropylene surface is non-porous and non-absorbent while still being gentle on our knives. Having different sizes, it can be used for meat, fruits, and veggies. It’s also lightweight and has a well for collecting juices. The board is reversible; it can be flipped and used as a pastry board or for rolling out dough, an advantage of its large size and non-absorbent surface. Being able to toss it into the dishwasher is certainly a plus sign when you're dealing with meat.
- Farberware 3-Piece Wood Cutting Board Set– The boards are made of farm-grown hardwood, are pre-sealed with food-grade mineral oil to keep them from drying out and feature reversible working surfaces. Available in 3 convenient sizes, are ideal for carving roasts and poultry. These boards should be hand-washed only with warm water and a mild detergent and then rinsed and dried immediately.
- Dexas Heavy Duty Flexible Grip Mat - Cutting on mats usually feel like we are cutting directly on our counter, but the best part of these mats are, they are thicker, have textured surface and a good grip across the entire bottom. They are available in a pack of four and are color-coded. Plus, they’re dishwasher-safe.
- OXO Good Grips Cutting Board- This plastic board resists warping, staining, and odors unlike other boards. OXO cutting board has grooves around the edges to catch liquids thus preventing messes on your counter, plus rubber grips so that the board won’t slide. The biggest advantage is the ability to pop it in the dishwasher after use, saving time.
- Flexible Plastic Cutting Board Mats set by Nicole Home Collection – The best part of being flexible is they can be bent or funneled to help unload chopped ingredients into waiting pots and pans. Moreover, these mats are not pricey, making them a convenient alternative to an actual board light daily use.
In the end, what matters most in your choice. Every home cook has different priorities, so there are lots of things to consider before purchasing a board, material, size, and price. Like, whether you’re looking for a strictly practical chopping board, or a serving bread board? Are you ready to take care of the wooden board after use or would you prefer to pop your board in the dishwasher? Understanding the pros and cons while keeping the above advice in mind, will help you in narrowing down the options and help you in deciding the perfect board for you.